Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sometimes I like to play dress up...

And sometimes I don't.

Since I recently switched to working nights, I really have no reason to get up in the morning. I'm working on some routines so that I can get things done, but right now that's another story for another day. But I have become sloppy in my daily habits, staying in my PJ's until I absolutely have to get dressed and go outside.

On Monday of this past week I had to go to my college and register for my classes for the Spring semester. (I know this may seem like a useless detail, but I don't care!) I was having kind of a blah day, one of those days where I really didn't feel like doing anything, but I had to. So, I decided to dress nicely. This is something that may not work for everyone, but I always find that I am more productive when I actually take the time to put thought into my outfit.

I am a firm believer that you never have a second chance to make a good first impression, and I have found myself kicking myself in the ass far too many times to not dress nicely when there is someone that I want to impress, even if I have met them before. This is the case with my college advisor, I have seen her before, but I like to make a good impression anyway. (Of course that is not the only reason that I dressed nicely - I did it for myself, as stated above.)

I wore a nice pair of grey dress pants, a grey tank top, a sheer white button up over it, and my Sanita clogs. (I bet this would be much more interesting if I had a picture to show you, but I don't. Sorry!) Instead of a necklace I wore my black and white striped/grey Converse scarf kind of like a tie. My hair was up in a figure eight bun, and I had actually taken the time to put on a little bit of makeup.

Not only was I complimented twice on the outfit, I found that I was more confident in how I looked, which showed in my actions and in my words. This might not make much sense, but it seemed to be true. For the rest of the week I put some thought into my outfit, but not as much. And with the exception of Friday, I really feel as though I got nothing done. Maybe playing dress up helps me to focus... something to think about for the coming week.

I'll have to post back to compare...

No comments:

Post a Comment